Even the seasons of winter and spring are related to the Kapha times of year and therefore a Kapha style yoga practice can be adopted during these times.
For Kapha, the right yoga postures will help you increase your metabolism, decrease your mucous in the regions of the chest, lungs and other areas.
The yoga postures will also help you stimulate and sharpen your mind which often results from a sedentary lifestyle rather than an active one.
Overall, this yoga practice will increase your internal body heat, which is much needed for Kapha.
Ayurveda yoga therapy and tips for kapha dosha yoga practice
1. You should learn to accept your body physique and not try to force your body into postures and movements unnatural to you.
2. You should practice more active postures with movements and exercises that stimulate your metabolism and increase your circulation.
3. You should practice postures that emphasize the chest and lung region, the main sites of Kapha.
4. You should increase your exercises and stimulating postures in a slow and incremental manner especially if you are over-weight.
5. You should also not over-strain yourself and increase your heart rates to suddenly if you are prone to heart disease or have high cholesterol.
6. Deep breathing exercises and techniques such as Ujayi (victorious breath) breath should be practiced along with postures.
7. You should practice postures you enjoy and learn to have fun sweating and challenging yourself during your practicing.
Types of postures for Kapha dosha
Standing postures – especially Warrior poses (Virabhadrasana) and Half Moon (Ardha Chandrasana) are excellent to build heat and strength particularly when combined with movement/Vinyasas.
Backbends – or chest opening postures, especially the Plow, Camel, Locust and Bow are excellent for reducing Kapha congestion and stagnation. They are also very effective in stimulating the navel centre and increasing metabolism.
Full inverted balancing postures – especially handstand (Adho Mukha Vrksasana) and Peacock Feather pose (Pinca Mayurasana) are beneficial for increasing energy.
Shoulder-stand is good for stimulating the thyroid gland and increasing metabolism.
Sun Salutations are encouraged and should be done with strong vinyasa (flowing & jumping movements) to increase the internal fire.
A short corpse pose and relaxation is sufficient after the yoga practice.
Key points for the body, breath and mind
Body – keep your body light and moving, warm and dry. Do your postures with effort, speed and determination.
Prana or Breath – keep your prana (energy) upward moving and circulating; take deep, full breaths and keep your energy moving.
Mind – Keep your mind enthusiastic, wakeful and focused.